What Happens with Type 2 Diabetes, The Silent Killer
The global pandemic that is diabetes has become so common within our population, it has been estimated that it affects just under one in ten adults, and it’s still on the rise. What’s even more worrisome is that the incidence of Type 2 diabetes is now being seen more frequently in children. The stages of Type 2 diabetes begin with insulin resistance which is often associated with increased body fat. As the overweight and obesity rates in children have been on the rise, we are now seeing the health effects the strain of carrying extra weight is putting on our bodies in the younger population also. Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas to transport glucose (simple sugar) into our cells to provide fuel to the body. As a result of insulin resistance, the insulin is not as effective at moving the sugar out of the bloodstream to the body’s cells as it should be. The pancreas responds by producing progressively greater amounts of insulin, to try and achieve some degree of management of the blood glucose levels.
Associated with this increased insulin production, fat lay down occurs as carbohydrate (or glucose) stores more easily as fat and increased insulin levels in the bloods creates an inability of breaking fat down in the body due to preventing lipolysis (fat breakdown), resulting in extreme difficulty to lose weight.
If insulin resistance is left untreated, the cells in the pancreas that produce insulin wear themselves out, so that by the time someone is told that they have type 2 diabetes, they have lost 50 – 70% of these cells. This means that type 2 diabetes is a combination of ineffective insulin and not enough insulin. Type 2 diabetes is a progressive condition with the ongoing destruction of the cells in the pancreas that produce insulin. Here at Diabetes Clinics Australia, our fundamental goal is to provide you with the tools to stop this progression and assist in the fight against diabetes.
Do You Have The Symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes and or Insulin Resistance?
In type 2 diabetes, many symptoms go unnoticed and some people have no symptoms at all. As type 2 diabetes is commonly (but not always) diagnosed at a later age, sometimes signs are dismissed as a part of ‘getting older’. In some cases, by the time type 2 diabetes is diagnosed, the complications of diabetes may already be present and the damage can be irreversible We need to be able to identify any signs, as well as recognise if your risk factors for developing type 2 diabetes is increased.
Core Program Summary
- Metabolic Health – insulin resistance screen
and diabetes risk review
- Multiple Doctor and Clinical Dietitian Appointments
- Pathology Collection & Analysis
- Reporting to your GP of progress status
- Nutri-Medical Review
- Vitamins and body composition review with prescription
- Goal setting accountability
- Individualised online Video Portal video instruction for: meal plans, shopping right, eating out, menus, snacking, exercise and pantry make over
- Final Weigh-In and blood sample analysis and success measurement. Congratulations program summary and medical report.
Program Benefits | 3 Month Program and Integrated Service
- Access end-to-end medical support for pre-diabetes, diabetes and metabolic disease including insulin resistance, weight loss and obesity.
- Dedicated medical and clinical dietitians all in the one clinic working simultaneously with your pathology results to set you on the right path quickly and easily.
- Avoid the frustration and wasted time of running to many appointments seeking consultation from numerous doctors and health professionals who are not working efficiently together.
- Our longer appointments ensure you get the support you need with your dedicated team. One point of contact, set appointments, online learning, including: goal setter, customised meal plan (one on one with dietician), shopping list and pantry make over.
- Learning 'what to eat' when it comes to diabetes is a crucial skill for life. Check the online learning portal at www.what2eat.org
- Save time and money by accessing the experts for your unique medical situation in the one convenient appointment program.